There are certainly a million reasons I could list for going through the divorce I am going through. They are all real, they are all true, at least from my perspective, and I can say over and over again I gave it my best shot. I can put on a reasonably positive front about the whole thing and live life as if I have "dealt with it".
But one phone call about the divorce papers, a limited conversation, and I find I have not gotten very far with all of this. The hurt seeps in, insidiously, through my body until I ache so badly I can hardly breathe. Then the barrage of questions.... what could we have done? why doesn't he apologize for his part? why won't he hear when I say I'm sorry? how do two people just stop talking after years of being together? what do I do with all the pain inside from years of a damaged relationship and of lost hope?
The damage this marriage did to both of us is unbelievable. An outsider might look at me and say "ok - so it's the best thing for you both - put it behind you". Yes, I agree. And I disagree. Somehow, there is something spiritual about a marriage - good/bad/ugly marriage. That's not to say some marriages shouldn't end. I believe sometimes they have to. Yet, I somehow feel my very soul has been damaged by walking away from marriage. Not irreparable damage... just damage. It is a covenant. I have had to deal with the guilt that word has put on me when it has been used as a tool by people who have maintained we should not allow divorce to be an option. To that I say - divorce is better than death of one or both of the individuals. However, with a covenant being broken, so, too, does the soul crack a bit. I know this paragraph contains a multitude of contradictions. Hmmm... not surprising. It is a contradiction. The whole thing.... divorce is better than staying together in some instances and yet we have made a covenant between us and God and should(for lack of a better word) stay together........ All things are true. I believe that is why we can never, ever judge another person's marriage or their decision to stay or go.
So - here I am, at the end of this blog - realizing - no matter how unhealthy a relationship - there is still pain, grief and mourning. Hmm, I thought somehow I had done enough grieving. Joke's on me.
To those of you out there considering divorce.... consider carefully. It does have it's costs, no matter what you may think. However - please don't let anyone else lay on guilt about your decision. Believe me - you will have enough of your own. God is the only one we have to answer to. When I think about the words "God hates divorce" - I believe that with my whole heart. I know first-hand why he hates it. It's not a harsh, judging statement. It's another way He shows He loves us. He hates divorce because he knows how much it hurts his children. I also know he doesn't love me any less now that I am soon-to-be divorced. I can well imagine how sad he is as he watches me pick up the pieces and begin again. But begin again I will... little by little. The pain... well, it too, I pray, will go away little by little. Time... that's actually my most-hated 4-letter word.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Kelly, hang in there. We are thinking about and praying for you.
I came across a sermon by John Ortberg here
http://www.mppcfamily.org/
app/w_page.php?id=49&type=section
You may find it interesting, and comforting too.
Here's something to thinks about: God is a divorcee as well. Take a look at Jeremiah.
The best part is, He also runs a divorce recovery program. Ortberg says that it started at Calvary and is still in session.
Take care!
Al Neufeld
Hey Kel,
I totally agree with you - Ya, God does hate divorce because it HURTS His children. Does that make it "illegal"? Ummmm no. Somehow His stupid children have made it into some "rule" that we judge each other by. Good ol' humans...Like I've said before, if I was God, I'd zap the humans with lightning and go on with my perfect existence :)
Post a Comment