Sunday, June 17, 2007

Mountain Woman

So - it's been a long time since I have written on this thing. A lot has happened... too much to try to write about just now. But, surprise, I have something on my mind I need to write out to see if I can make any sense of it.

I was at Jasper National Park with a friend for 4 days. It was amazing. I absolutely love being in the mountains. I somehow feel dwarfed and "giant" all rolled up in one. God is never more real to me than when I am in the mountains.

Here's the thing. I become someone who can't get enough "experiences" in the mountains. I want to hike and look and hike and smell and keep looking for animals, flowers, etc. I am not normally a sensing person, but when I get in the mountains it's like I want to take it all in and keep adding to it. It's as if I have to experience all the experiences to make it real. That is so not who I am in the regular, every day part of my life. In my life I am content to read about it, philosophies, and be content with the ideas. Somehow, though, being in the mountains I want to take in all the experiences I can. It's not a bad thing. Experiencing is good. The bad part, is when my experiencing interferes with the life of the inhabitants of the park.

This came to me as my friend and I were walking one night and we wanted to go further on the path only to find out the path was closed because the female elk were calving in the area. Right away I wanted to go and "check things out". I didn't really want to interfere, just "look". How dare I. We didn't go off the path, and the funny thing was - go figure - the elk can't read and a couple of females and a baby happened to "cross the line" and end up close to our cabins. I have been bugged by my reaction to go and see.

I think where my head is going is... we as humans seem to think we own the earth and everything in it. Now I know God gave human dominion over land and animals. Hmmm... so why is it that the grizzly bear is on the endangered list???? It's from people like me who want to "check them out"... "experience seeing a bear"... and, what happens is the bears become used to humans, try to get food - cause gee, that's basically what they are all about - and, surprise, they become so accustomed to humans that they make themselves a nuisance, perhaps attacking and then being shot because they are a threat. Seems to me we have become more of a threat than they could ever be. We are visiting their habitat and think we have the right to do whatever the hell we want. I don't have the answers, but I do know that I have an arrogant attitude like so many other people who visit the parks.

Another problem is the hiking trails. We use the trails but think nothing of walking off the path that has been allocated, only to trample precious wildlife in the process. We disrupt the ecosystem of the area by assuming we can go wherever we want. I am not some environmental fool, but I am seeing I contribute to the problem we have in the areas that are deemed "wilderness". We treat the areas like they are ours. Seems everything humans tough we destroy. I don't mean to be melodramatic, but... if I - who care wholeheartedly about wildlife, the environment and taking care of it, as well as someone who has spent a lot of time in the wilderness (albeit, somewhat hesitantly in bear country) - am seeing how I contribute to the demise of the areas by occasionally stepping off the path, trying to "hunt out" wildlife, carrying an attitude of I deserve to see wildlife...what about all the people who come into the wilderness and take advantage of the wonderful "tourist" attractions.

The Maligne lake tour boat now takes many more tourists across to spirit island because it is a great commerce generating experience for the tour companies. Why would the Alberta government allow this. As it is, this is one of the most highly populated areas for grizzly bears. Now there will be more and more boats going through the lake later in the day, infringing on the grizzly feeding times. They, then will be searching for other feeding places, perhaps wandering into areas occupied by humans.

I guess this is really a rant to myself, reminding me that I can only change myself, and I need to be aware of my curiosity, at the expense of interfering with wildlife and their way of life. A canoe paddling through the lake would not disrupt the bears... a boat full of tourists... another problem.

Crap... this issue is something I need to seriously ponder cause I know I want to blame "others"... but, I'm as guilty as can be. And... I think... for a lot of people, this whole "tourist" thing comes down to dollars and cents. Which is why they are tearing down my favorite cabins, which have nothing but a bed, fireplace, icebox, oven and shower... for the new and improved all-inclusive resort........ ahhhh... do we all have the right to "enjoy" nature without the responsibility that comes from helping to preserve it? I'm not saying everyone who goes into the parks is a careless, idiot. I am saying we have to stop and think about what and why we go and visit these areas.

Hmmm.. I think I better step off the soapbox and return to looking inward to find some answers to all of the questions/thoughts/.... ok, rants... above.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

That was well said my friend. Well said.