Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Idealism or Just Too Much Trouble

I have been reading a book that I picked up called "This Beautiful Mess" by Rick McKinley. It is essentially an extremely watered-down Divine Conspiracy, which means I can understand this book. While I don't agree with everything that is written in this book, some of it has challenged my thinking about the way we live and the excuses we give for not making changes.

He talks about "walking alongside" each other in the kingdom in practical ways. It simply reaffirms how I have felt for quite some time, as well as how other people I talk with feel. We, in our western culture (over-generalizing, but work with me here), tend to think we can throw money at any problem and then we have "helped". Of course, money does help - but the recipient of the money is not necessarily empowered. All we have to do is look at all the people on social assistance who have developed a sense of "learned helplessness". I can certainly understand - only to a point, however, because I have not personally been there - how that can happen. Every person needs to have something to live for - even the tiniest thing. When "we" throw money at people, we are essentially standing and they are sitting reaching for a hand-out. We aren't equal. We need to walk alongside, empowering others.

He doesn't just talk about money. He talks about environment, children, suffering, and of course...money.

One of the practical ways McKinley talked about was by collecting food from various grocers and setting up a food market in an inner-city area, rather than delivering baskets of food. That empowers families to come and pick up what they like, and take ownership for choosing, rather than having someone choose for them. It's a small shift, but a powerful one.

There are practical questions at the end of every chapter to get people thinking about ways we can care for the environment in our neighborhoods (sacred creation as he calls it), suffer alongside others, spend our money wisely for the Kingdom.

None of the ideas presented in the book are necessarily "new" - but they are out there again - and this time I think I am hearing "it". Now I need to gather some like-minded people to actually put into practical application some of the things I read or reread. That's the challenging part. I tend to be called an idealist. Well - I guess I am. I know I need some realists in my life - but - at this point - I need to grab onto my idealism with both hands and step out and cooperate with the Spirit to "practice the presence of the Kingdom of God". How? Not a clue at this point. One step at a time. Which direction - guess I will see when I take the step. Actually, my first step has been to volunteer at Global Gathering Place to walk alongside/read/tutor refugees and immigrants.

The book may be simply and idealistically written (my kind of book :) ), but what he has to say needs to keep being said, over and over and over again. We have been given a gift, but with that gift comes a great responsibility - are we going to accept the responsibility - or squander the gift?

Here is just one of the many parts in the book that reaffirmed conversations I have had with many different people. I need to stop talking and start acting.

North Americans tend to assume that we know what people in the rest of the world actually need. Genuine relationships can help set us straight on that. Once we commit to knowing others, we're likely to realize what they say they need and what we think they need may be different. We ought to lay down our arrogance and humbly assist them with their needs as they preceive them. They know their world, their people, and their culture. We suffer with them by letting them decide how we can best assist.

When we engage these relationships in a way that truly comes alongside to weep with those who weep, we start to taste the kingdom. We taste it in a way that is bitter and sweet all at the same time. It breaks our hearts to feel what others feel on a daily basis, and it grows our hearts when we experience their reciprocal love. We are one family of kingdom people following the King. We suffer WITH. That means we are brothers and sisters, not Western CEO's and Third World employees. Our relationships are familial, not contractual. Together we hurt and we feel and we love and we are loved in return.


He doesn't just deal with Third World countries. This could apply to anyone who is suffering in our world, country, city or down the street.

I'm sure I will be rambling more and more about this as I process what actions I am going to take, and how I might encourage other people to work with me - I hate working alone!

No comments: