I love technology. I truly do... especially the electronic technology.... even more specifically.... computers. I don't know what I did without them. Well, actually, I do. I remember waaaaay back I was a secretary (barf... not because secretaries are bad - I happen to think without competent front office people companies suck but that's another blog) I hated the whole secretary thing - and actually was one of the first people to be trained on our MICOM word processor. It was a honkin' thing that sat in the corner like a foreboding giant just daring us to try and figure out how to use it. Well - the thing didn't get the better of me. After many days of swearing, pulling my hair out and using up an entire box of paper - with the side holes to make sure it guided into the printer properly... I mastered it... sort of. Enough so that I went to Winnipeg with my company to teach other poor suckers how to use this monster. The machine was hideous, and although once mastered it did make life easier - when there was a problem you were hooped.
Fast forward to today. PC's/IPod's/notebooks (the artist formerly known as laptops I do believe), etc. Life is so much easier with these machines. Except.... if you run into problems and you do not know how to fix them. I can mess around on this thing with the best of 'em, but, when there is a glitch... I am hooped. And hooped I was today with my sound on the computer. When my computer tech came to the rescue he started to talk to me about things he actually thought I knew about computers. Well ... suffice it to say.... a little knowledge is dangerous. I had to fess up that I know precious little.... and no... I did not know what kind of sound card was in my computer.... I figured I was lucky I knew there was a sound card. There was my first error. I should have just smiled and said that those black little thingies on the desk aren't playing my music the way I would like them to and please make them better. When he left - after wondering how I could say I love music when I listen to it on these crappy little speakers - (ok - I interpreted what he said as "crappy little speakers"), I realized I am simply a wannabe when it comes to understanding the computer and all of it's workings.
Oh well, can't be a genius in all areas of life.... but, I do now know my sound card is an A-Bit, VA-20. .... and that I paid too much for the computer I had built.
Monday, September 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment