Sunday, November 19, 2006

Grief

Why are we so uncomfortable with pain... ours and others'? Why do I feel I need to "fix" someone's plight? Why does someone else feel they need to "fix" me? The human condition I suppose.

I had an experience over the past week that has shown me authentic community. As I went through an extremely painful time I had some friends at different times, sit... just sit and "be" with me as I cried, ranted, swore (and boy what a mouth I have!)... never once did any of them try to "fix" it. Comfort came through hugs and silence. The interesting thing was... at first I was so frustrated because I wanted them to fix it. Damn it... isn't that what friends do??? Hmmm.... as it turns out - no, Kelly. Now maybe I am just slow on the uptake and many other people have all ready gotten this.... no one can "fix" me... and yet another revelation... I'm ok the way I am... broken, sad, and messed up. I have never felt so truly accepted as I did this past week, in the midst of my shit - and they didn't offer one word of advice.... just love. I am "wowed" because this, I believe, is the kind of community we long for in the world. What a blessing that I have experienced it!

No comments: