I was just reading in a devotional book about Bonhoffer's idea of community. Crap. I was having a conversation with a friend last night about community in church and how church seems to be so much of a "social" gathering and that I was looking for something more intimate and real. We talked about how, because we are all human we can't expect anything more from people. I realize it will always be limited because of our humanity, and I am finally coming to realize we can't change other people(that's been a long time in coming for me) - I guess I really just don't know where I stand on "church". In truth, as usual, it comes down to me and my attitude. What do I want? I no longer expect anybody standing up front to be responsible for "teaching" me. I no longer expect the worship to "move" me, I no longer look at the long-standing church members as "perfect", but sometimes I am not sure why I go to church at all. It's not as if I touch anyone while I'm there. I am so idealistic I struggle with church being another institution. I have all these criticisms (or observations as I like to call them), but what am I doing to affect change?
Well - that's all my brain has on this... at least that I can make sense of at this moment... if sense is what I can call the above ramble. Oh how my blog is aptly named.
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment